This steam locomotive is the belle of the Sandley Light Railway shops. Built in 1948 in the Janesville Wisconsin shops, it was pattern after the Chicago & Northwestern railway’s “D” class Atlantic type steam locomotive.
It first ran in Janesville until 1952 when it was moved up to Wisconsin Dells. In 1981, it was moved to Knoxville first for the Worlds Fair, then providing rides at the Knoxville Zoo. The locomotive is now back in Wisconsin Dells waiting to be restored.
The goal is $50,000 to restore the North Star back into operational condition. The biggest expense is the replacement of the boiler. The Riverside & Great Northern currently has reached the $20,000 mark.